- Wayne County Bicentennial
- Bicentennial Events
- Bicentennial Founders Day Celebration
Bicentennial Founders Day Celebration
Tuesday, April 11, 2023 - FOUNDERS DAY CELEBRATION
This is the official date of Wayne County’s establishment as an independent county in New York State 200 years ago. There will be a ceremony in Lyons (the County Seat) at the historic County Court House at 26 Church St. to “kick off” the year-long celebration. (Weather permitting. Alternate site is the Ohmann Theatre on Williams St. Lyons.) Public is welcome to attend the Ceremony and Public Program shown below.
IF YOU RECEIVED A FORMAL INVITATION, PLEASE RSVP HERE.
10:00 AM - Guests begin to arrive by Shuttle. Guests are encouraged to park at the Lyons Community Center and be shuttled over to the Court House at 26 Church St. (Click on photo of courthouse for Google Map of Church St, Lyons, NY.) Parking is limited in downtown Lyons. There are two public lots at the corner of Water and William / Geneva Streets (Rt. 14).
CEREMONY AT THE HISTORIC COURT HOUSE IN LYONS
10:50 AM - A hand bell group will be set up in the bandstand in the park across from the Court House.
10:58 - 11:00 AM - Church and Other Bells from all over Wayne County will ring for 2 minutes.
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM - The Ceremony at the Court House steps.
(Weather permitting. Alternate site will be the Ohmann Theater at 65 Williams St. Lyons. Volunteers will direct you to the proper location.)
- Reserved Seating for visiting dignitaries. Some Public Seating provided.
- American Legion color guard and Sheriff's Honor Guard. Gun salute, pledge of allegiance.
- Student band & chorus will lead us in the Star Spangled Banner
- The Wayne County Proclamation will be read.
- If available, comments from: US Senators, Congressman, Governor, State Senator, State Assemblyman
- Additional musical performances from students
- The unveiling of a historic marker commemorating the founding of Wayne County
- Brief remarks on the founding
- Bell Choir ends the program around noon. Shuttle buses to return guests to Lyons Community Center for Private Luncheon (available with RSVP Invite.)
12:00 PM - 1:30 PM PRIVATE LUNCHEON BY INVITATION / RSVP AT LYONS COMMUNITY CENTER.
1:30 PM to 2:30 PM PUBLIC PROGRAM AT LYONS COMMUNITY CENTER
- Villages, Towns, Sponsors and other Historical Displays.
- Music by a school group
- Welcoming speeches (5 minutes)
- Comments by Seneca and Ontario County Historians (5 to 10 minutes each)
- Comments by NYS Historian (15 to 20 minutes)
- Music by a school group
- Dedication program related to commemorative writings in the Voices of Wayne County book (15 minutes)
- Closing remarks by Bicentennial Co-Chairs (5 minutes)
2:30 PM FINAL CUT
- Cutting the Wayne County 200th Birthday Cake(s)
- Mingle & visit displays